2:00pm, 25th November
Author of Being A True Hero: Understanding and Preventing Suicide in Your Community
Understanding and Preventing Suicide in Construction
Did you know that internationally and in New Zealand construction, has the highest suicide rate of any profession? We often take great care when working with electricity or at height, we must now take care to take practical steps to prevent suicide. Suicide is preventable and we can change the terrible statistics. Michael will talk about the latest research and success stories of suicide prevention programs.
This talk will cover...
- Why does construction have such a high suicide rate?
- What practical steps should employers and health and safety professionals take to prevent suicide in the profession?
- Why is "gatekeeper training" so important in suicide reduction?
- Why and how is poor sleep related to why people often want to end their lives. Learn ways that this can be addressed.
- What role does failure play in many suicides?
Michael Hempseed is the author of Being A True Hero: Understanding and Preventing Suicide in Your Community. The book is being used by the New Zealand Police, Fire and Emergency NZ, GPs, Counsellors as well as many parents and teachers. He has trained everyone from army medics to social workers to health and safety companies. Michael gained an honours degree in Psychology from the University of Canterbury in 2008. In 2016 he spoke at TEDx. Funny, full of enthusiasm and taking a genuine interest in people are all qualities that make Michael a captivating speaker.